Count Raoul I de Vermandois
- Born: Abt 1085, Valois, France
- Marriage (1): Alix (Pernelle) de Poitiers
- Marriage (2): Laurette of Flanders in 1152
- Marriage (3): Eléonore of Blois in 1125
- Died: 14 Oct 1152 about age 67
- Buried: St. Arnoul, Crépy, France
Raoul I of Vermandois (French: Raoul Ier "le Vaillant"; English, Ralph of Vermandois), Count of Vermandois. He was son of Hugh of Vermandois and Adele of Vermandois.
His paternal grandparents were Henry I of France and Anne of Kiev. His maternal grandparents were Herbert IV of Vermandois and Adele of Valois.
His only paternal uncle was Philip I of France. Through him Raoul was a first cousin of Louis VI of France and a first cousin, once removed of Louis VII of France.
Raoul served as the seneschal of France during the reign of his cousin Louis VII. Under pressure from Queen consort Eleanor of Aquitaine, Louis allowed him to repudiate his wife Eléonore of Blois in favor of Eleanor's sister, Petronilla of Aquitaine. This led to a war with Theobald II of Champagne, who was the brother of Raoul's first wife Eleonore. The war lasted two years (1142\endash 44) and ended with the occupation of Champagne by the royal army.
Raoul and Petronilla were excommunicated by Pope Innocent II for their illegitimate marriage.
Family and children
Raoul was married three times:
* First, he was married in 1125 with Eléonore of Blois, daughter of Stephen II, Count of Blois. Their marriage ended in divorce in 1140. They had one son:
o Hugh II "The Monk", count of Vermandois and Valois, resigned his titles in 1160 and became a monk, canonized 1177 (b. Amiens, 9.4.1127 - m. Caerfroy Cloister, near Paris, 4.11.1212).
* Second, he was married in 1140 with Petronilla of Aquitaine; in 1151 their marriage was dissolved. They had two children:
o Elizabeth (1141-1151)
o Isabel Mabile, countess of Vermandois and Valois (b. 1143 - d. Arras, 28 March 1183), married Philip I of Lorraine, count of Flanders.
o Raoul II, count of Vermandois and Valois (b. 1145 - d. of leprosy, 1167). married Margaret of Lorraine, later countess of Flanders.
* Third, he was married in 1152 with Laurette of Flanders, daughter of Thierry, Count of Flanders and Swanhilde. They had one daughter:
o Eleonore, countess of Vermandois and Valois, renounced her titles in 1214 in favor of the French Crown and became a nun (b. 1152 - d. aft.1222). She married five times:
1. (probably) Godfrey of Hainaut, Count of Ostervant (d. 1163).
2. before 1167 Count William IV of Nevers.
3. ca 1170 Matthew of Lorraine, Count of Boulogne.
4. ca 1175 Count Mathieu III of Beaumont-sur-Oise.
5. ca 1210 Etienne II of Blois, Lord of Chatillon-sur-Loing .
Raoul married Alix (Pernelle) de Poitiers, daughter of William X d' Aquitaine Duke of Aquitaine and Eléanor de Chatellerault. (Alix (Pernelle) de Poitiers was born about 1126 in Aquitaine and died after 31 Oct 1153.)
Raoul next married Laurette of Flanders, daughter of Dietrich (Thierry) d'Alsace Count Of Flanders and Marguerite or Suanhilde, in 1152. (Laurette of Flanders was born in 1120 and died in 1175.)
Raoul next married Eléonore of Blois, daughter of Stephen II Henri Count Of Blois and Adela Princess Of England, in 1125. (Eléonore of Blois was born in 1104 and died in 1147.)