King Philippe III 'the Bold' Capet of France
- Born: 8 May 1245, Poissy, Yvelines, France
- Marriage (1): Isabel Princess of Aragón Queen of France on 4 Jun 1262 in Clermont-Ferrand, Puy-de-Dome, France
- Marriage (2): Marie de Brabant on 21 Aug 1274
- Died: 12 Oct 1285, Perpignan, Toulouse, France at age 40
- Buried: Oct 1285, Saint Denis, Isle de France
Philip III (French: Philippe III; April 3, 1245- October 5, 1285) reigned as King of France from 1270 to 1285. A member of the Capetian dynasty, he was born in Poissy, the son of Louis IX of France and of Marguerite Berenger of Provence (1221-1295). He is nicknamed the Bold (le Hardi).
At the age of 25 he ascended to the throne. Indecisive, and dominated by the policies of his father, he followed the dictates of others, first of Pierre de la Broce and then of his uncle Charles I of Anjou, king of Naples.
In 1285, the last year of his reign, Philip, in order to help his uncle Charles, who had lost Sicily to King Pedro III of Aragon, made an unsuccessful attempt to conquer Aragon. In the aftermath of this struggle, while retreating from Girona, Philippe III died on October 5, 1285 at Perpignan (in the present-day département of Pyrénées-Orientales). He lies buried with his wife, Isabella of Aragon (1247 - 1271) in Saint Denis Basilica.
On 28 May 1262, Philip III married Isabella of Aragon, daughter of James I of Aragon and his second wife Yolande of Hungary, daughter of Andrew II of Hungary, and had the following children:
1. Louis - (1266 - May 1276)
2. Philippe IV - (1268 - November 29, 1314)
3. Charles de Valois - (March 12, 1270 - December 16, 1325)
After Isabella's death, he married on August 21, 1274, Marie de Brabant, daughter of Henry III of Brabant and Adelaide of Burgundy.
The children of Philippe III and Marie de Brabant were:
1. Louis d'Evreux - (May 1276 - May 19, 1319) (married: Marguerite d' Artois)
2. Blanche - (1278 - March 19, 1305) (married: Rudolph III, duke of Austria)
3. Marguerite - (1282 - February 14, 1317) (married: Edward I of England)
King Philippe III's son, Philippe IV, succeeded him on the throne.
Philippe married Isabel Princess of Aragón Queen of France, daughter of King Jaime I 'The Conqueror' Aragón, Valencia & Maljorca and Jolán (Yolande) Princess of Hungary, on 4 Jun 1262 in Clermont-Ferrand, Puy-de-Dome, France. (Isabel Princess of Aragón Queen of France was born in 1247 in Barcelona, Aragón, died on 4 Feb 1271 in Cosenza, Italy and was buried in Saint Denis, Isle de France.)
Philippe next married Marie de Brabant, daughter of Duke Henry III de Brabant and Aleidis of Bourgogne, on 21 Aug 1274. (Marie de Brabant was born in 1256 and died on 12 Jan 1331.)