- Born: Between 1311 and 1322, Grismond Castle, Monmouthshire, England
- Marriage (1): Richard "Copped Hat" Fitzalan Earl Of Arundel on 5 Feb 1344-1345 in Ditton, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England
- Marriage (2): John Beaumont 2nd Earl of Beaumont about Oct 1330
- Died: 11 Jan 1372, Arundel, Sussex, England
- Buried: Lewes, Sussex, England
Eleanor of Lancaster (sometimes called Eleanor Plantagenet)was born in Arundel, West Sussex, England, the fifth daughter of Henry, Earl of Lancaster (c. 1281-1345) and his wife Maud Chaworth (1282-1322).
First marriage and offspring
Sometime between September 1 and November 6, 1330, she married John Beaumont, 2nd Lord Beaumont, son of Henry Beaumont, 4th Earl of Buchan (c. 1288 - 1340) and his wife Alice Comyn (c. 1291-1349). They had two children:
1. Henry Beaumont, 3rd Lord Beaumont, born late 1339
2. Matilda Beaumont (died July 1467), married Hugh de Courtenay
Eleanor was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Philippa, and was in service to her in Ghent when her son Henry was born. John de Beaumont died in a tournament on 14 April 1342.
On 5 February 1344 at Ditton Church, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, she married Richard Fitzalan, 10th Earl of Arundel, 4th Earl of Surrey, known by the soubriquet of "Copped Hat", Justiciar of North Wales, Governor of Carnarvon Castle, Admiral of the West.2
His previous marriage, to Isabel le Despenser, had taken place when they were children. It was annulled by Papal mandate as she, since her father's attainder and execution, had ceased to be of any importance to him. Pope Clement VI obligingly annulled the marriage, bastardized the issue, and provided a dispensation for his second marriage to the woman with whom he had been living in adultery (the dispensation, dated 4 March 1344/1345, was required because his first and second wives were first cousins).
The children of Eleanor's second marriage were:
1. Richard (1346-1397), who succeeded as Earl of Arundel
2. John Fitzalan(bef 1349-1379)
3. Thomas Arundel, Archbishop of York (c. 1350-February 19, 1413)
4. Joan Fitzalan (bef. 1351-April 17, 1419), married Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford
5. Alice Fitzalan (1352-March 17, 1416), married Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent
Eleanor died at Arundel and was buried at Lewes Priory in Lewes, Sussex, England. Her husband was buried beside her; in his will Richard requests to be buried "near to the tomb of Eleanor de Lancaster, my wife; and I desire that my tomb be no higher than hers, that no men at arms, horses, hearse, or other pomp, be used at my funeral, but only five torches...as was about the corpse of my wife, be allowed."
Eleanor married Richard "Copped Hat" Fitzalan Earl Of Arundel, son of Edmund Fitzalan Earl Of Arundel and Alice de Warrene, on 5 Feb 1344-1345 in Ditton, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England. (Richard "Copped Hat" Fitzalan Earl Of Arundel was born about 1313 in Arundel, Sussex, England, died on 24 Jan 1375-1376 in Arundel, Sussex, England and was buried in Lewes, Sussex, England.)
Eleanor next married John Beaumont 2nd Earl of Beaumont about Oct 1330. (John Beaumont 2nd Earl of Beaumont was born about 1312 and died on 14 Apr 1342.)