Sir John Fitzalan 1st Baron Arundel
- Born: Abt 1348, Echingham, Sussex, England
- Marriage: Elizabeth Despencer
- Died: 16 Dec 1379, Drowned, Irish Sea about age 31
- Buried: Priory, Lewes, Sussex, England
John FitzAlan, 1st Baron Arundel (c. 1348 - December 16, 1379) was a Marshal of England. He was born in Echingham, Sussex, England to Richard Fitzalan, 10th Earl of Arundel and his second wife Eleanor of Lancaster.
John was appointed Marshal by Richard II of England in 1377. He was summoned to Parliament 4 August 1377, by writ directed Johanni de Arundell. Being in command of a naval expedition in aid to the Duke of Brittany, he defeated the French fleet off the coast of Cornwall. Sir John de Arundel, 1st Lord Arundel, died testate at sea 15 Dec. 1379, being wrecked and drowned in the Irish Sea. He was buried in Lewes, Sussex. He was also an ancestor of the poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley.
On February 17, 1358, John was married to Lady Eleanor Maltravers (1345 - January 10), 1404/1405, daughter of John Maltravers and Gwenthin. They had five children:
* Joan FitzAlan (c. 1360 - September 1, 1404. She married first Sir William de Echingham and secondly William de Brien.
* John FitzAlan, 2nd Baron Arundel (November 3, 1364 - August 14, 1390), who married Elizabeth le Despenser.
* Richard FitzAlan (c. 1366 - June 3, 1419).
* William Arundel (c. 1369 - 1400. He was a Knight of the Garter.
* Margaret FitzAlan (c. 1372 - July 3, 1438). She married William de Ros, 7th Baron de Ros in 1394.
John married Elizabeth Despencer, daughter of Edward Despencer and Elizabeth de Burghersh. (Elizabeth Despencer was born about 1367 in Essendine, Rutland, England, died 10-11 Apr 1408 and was buried in Tewkesbury Abbey, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England.)